Tiny Coconut

I have things.

Monday, February 13, 2006

That Hissing Sound You Hear Is My Ego Deflating

Em is 8. She is getting into the shower, and kind of poking at herself.

Em: I know you always say I'm not fat, but do you think I'm a little too fat?
Me: Why do you ask?
Em: Well, my belly does go out like this...(she traces her shape which is, admittedly, deliciously pudgy) and a lot of my friends...(she trails off)
Me: No, I don't think you're too fat. But you've always had more muscle on you than a lot of your friends, so you're never going to be all skinny the way C and K are. And that's why I sometimes remind you not to eat too much junk food.
Em: But C eats junk food all the time, and her belly goes like this...(she tries to suck in to approximate her friend's concave shape, but fails).
Me: Yep. That's just the way it is. Some people can eat anything they want, and other people have to be a little more careful.
Em, turns around and pats my belly: Yeah. Daddy and N are the skinny ones in the family, right? And Daddy's also the one with the muscles, so I guess I get those from him.

And with that, she flexes her arm muscles, pulls the shower curtain shut, and begins singing, while I stand there, fat and flabby and wondering how, exactly, that conversation got away from me so badly.


free hit counter