Tiny Coconut

I have things.

Thursday, July 21, 2005

Rings

I've noticed, lately, what with the extra mumbledy-mumble pounds I've been carrying around (yeah, thanks FXor, don't let the door hit you on my fat ass on the way out) and the inferno that is LA and my only-spot-airconditioned home, that my wedding ring is just the eensiest bit uncomfortable. And so, last night, with the aid of a little soap, I slid it off. And then forgot to put it on again this morning. And freaked each time I noticed that my finger was bare.

The only other time in our almost-ten-year marriage that I was without my ring for more than a couple of minutes was during my pregnancies, when I wore it around my neck on a chain.

I was commenting on how weird it felt to Baroy, but how necessary it'd been to remove it, considering the depth of the dent in my flesh it left behind.

"Yeah," he said. "I hate the feeling of a ring on my finger in the summer, which is why I hardly ever wear it this time of year."

"Hold on. Do you mean to say that you don't wear your wedding ring all the time?" I asked.

He just shook his head at me ruefully. "Nice powers of observation you got there, TC. I've NEVER worn it every day."

Huh. For some reason, that bugs me, though I don't know why. It's not like I worry that without it he'll start cattin' around or something. But still...

So, a quick poll. If you're married, do you wear your ring all the time? Does your partner? How do you feell about this, if you feel anything at all?


free hit counter