Tiny Coconut

I have things.

Sunday, November 07, 2004

Finished

Whoops. Didn't mean to keep anyone waiting. Baroy finished the race...still standing, no less. He did think it particularly unfair that after running 26.2 miles, he then had to walk another mile from the finish line to the family meeting area, where his brother, sil and our two nieces were waiting for him. It made me laugh at the time, but in hindsight, that does seem somewhat sadistic.

When he called me on his cell phone after he'd crossed the finish line, I asked him about his desire to do this again in March, at the LA Marathon; that was his original plan. He snapped something to the effect that maybe I should wait more than fifteen minutes after he completed his first marathon to ask about the next one. It reminded me of the way people always ask a mother whose just given birth mere hours earlier if she wants another baby. Let the oxytocin do its magic first, people, and then ask.

When I spoke to him this evening, however, he was already sounding better, and talking about how it was actually a rather emotional experience. But it was when he started detailing the things he's going to do differently 'next time' that I knew he was going to be just fine.


free hit counter