Tiny Coconut

I have things.

Thursday, October 30, 2003

Natalie, from over in Natalieville (and if I could figure out how to link here, i would, but really, you need to read her blog if you're not...www.natalieville.net) responded to a comment I left her about hitting Baroy--who was then my boyfriend, not my DH--with my car by suggesting I tell the story here. And so I shall, for no reason other than that I must always do as Natalie bids.

So. Baroy and I were living together in one of the more happenin' parts of Los Angeles. (We were not, however, happenin' folk. Still aren't. But we like us anyway.) One Saturday night, we decide to rent a video from a video place right in the midst of a bunch of clubs, etc. I drove. At the time, I had a black Geo Prizm. Because I couldn't find a place to park, I dropped him off in front of the store, which was directly across from the Viper Room (you know, where River Phoenix died all those years ago). I then proceeded to drive around the block a few times, to avoid clogging up traffic.

So Baroy gets the video and exits the store. He looks across the street, sees a black car in front of the Viper Room, crosses the street, goes over to the car's passenger side, and begins pulling on the passenger-door handle...much to the surprise of the man sitting in the driver's seat.

As this is happening, I'm driving up the block towards the traffic light, and I see everything. I immediately dissolve into hysterical laughter...you had to be there, but it was soooo funny to watch the whole thing evolve, to watch Baroy's face as he realized it was the wrong car, to watch the driver's face as he realized someone was trying to get into his car. Anyway, I pulled up to the red light and honked my horn, practically weeping with laughter. Baroy saw me, said something apologetic to the other car's driver, and came around to the passenger side of my car, opened the door and started getting in. The light changed to green and, still laughing so hard I could barely breathe, I started to go...without first checking that Baroy was in the car. He wasn't. In fact, he was half in the car, half on the ground...the result of the door jamb knocking him over as I took off.

He screamed, I slammed on the brakes (thank god no one was behind me), he got into the car, and I took off again. He was laughing, I was laughing...and then I was crying, absolutely hysterical crying. Baroy reached over, guided the car over to the side, and turned it off. He assured me he was fine, just fine, and he hugged me. And then the two of us just fell apart. I couldn't stop crying for laughing, or laughing for crying. And he just kept saying, "You hit me with your car! You HIT ME with YOUR CAR!!!" and laughing in total disbelief.

And there you have it folks. I don't know which one of us is dumber, me for...well, for that whole story up there...or him for later going on to marry me.


free hit counter