Tiny Coconut

I have things.

Thursday, October 23, 2003

How old is she again?

This is E and I on our way home from swim lessons last night. She was telling me some silly little story about a boy in her class, and how they were looking at each other and giggling during something or other. (Sometimes these stories are cute, but at other times they're deadly dull, and yes, I'll admit it, I tune them out a bit...) E said something about how "me and D aren't friends exactly, but we're starting to be...." and I said "friendly?" and she said yes.

This reminded me of her 'friend' E, on whom she had a crush all last year (that was very much reciprocated), but with whom she has since parted ways. I asked her about how he was doing, because he's been having some trouble with their teacher this year.

Em: He still does some things wrong sometimes, but he's much better than he was in kindergarten.
TC: Oh, I'm glad to hear that. And are you two still friends?
Em: Oh, yeah. Yeah. Even though we broke up, we're still really very close, Mom.
TC remains silent, trying not to laugh out loud.
Em: It's funny, you know, it's like even though I don't love him any more, I still do sort of love him, except not like a boyfriend. I love him like a brother, now. He's like a brother to me.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you my daughter, who is chronologically just-turned 6. That's SIX, people. A six-year-old who talks about her kindergarten boyfriend (heck, who HAD a kindergarten boyfriend in the first place) using phrases like "we're still really very close" and "I love him like a brother." You know, as if she actually knows what it means to love someone NOT like a brother.

Words fail me. What AM I in for at 12 and 16, if this is what I'm in for at 6?

Be afraid, me. Be very afraid.


free hit counter