Tiny Coconut

I have things.

Sunday, December 31, 2006

This Was The Year

Last year at this time, I made what were not resolutions but, rather, declarations about what would happen this year. And, much to my surprise, I followed through.

In many ways, my life today doesn't look at all like what I'd expected when I made thos declarations. In other ways, it is exactly what I'd hoped for. I'm working from home, doing stuff that I enjoy, stuff that I can get jazzed about. I look forward to doing more of the same. So what if I've lost a 401K that totally kicked butt? So what if I'm currently waiting for an insurance company to decide whether it's going to risk insuring me (and I mean me, not Baroy or the kids, who've already been accepted) because I need a daily chemical kick in the pants to keep my head above water? So what if the kids will no longer have a free ride at the university when they turn 18, because I didn't stay there long enough? So what if I feel like this is mostly my fault, and that if I'd just focused more on what was going on, I wouldn't be in this position right now?

OK. I have to quit that. I'm depressing myself.

This year, there are resolutions rather than declarations, because I don't need to completely change my life in the space of 12 months. This year, I resolve to work at finding a position--hopefully with ParentsConnect, but if not there, somewhere--that provides some of the things I lost with the university job. Oh, who am I kidding? I resolve to find a position where I can work from home and have health insurance. And really, is that too much to ask?

Oh, and if I could drop the eight pounds I've packed on IN THE PAST MONTH, I'd like that, too.

-------
Even though 2006 was mostly focused on my career and making it fit somewhat better into my idea of what I want my family life to look like, the best thing that happened to me this year had nothing to do with writing or 401Ks or health insurance, though it did have everything to do with family.



We love you, Snug.

Happy New Year, everyone.


free hit counter