Tiny Coconut

I have things.

Monday, January 02, 2006

A Crappy Start

Last night, after we opened the last of the Chanukah gifts, I ran out to the store to buy some batteries for a remote-controlled car I'd gotten for N. On the way down the narrow, dark, rain-soaked street, I noticed some teens standing basically in the middle of the road with their car door open. I moved over a bit to see if I could get past them, and that's when I heard the THONK. When I got out of my car (the teens barely looked up from their oogling-one-another session), I found that I'd completely ripped my passenger-side mirror off my car, and broken the driver's-side mirror off of a car on the street.

I know this is a minor thing. I know it. Intellectually. But emotionally, I'm so depressed today. I left a note (in a plastic baggie--it hasn't stopped raining for days here) on the car in question, saying I'd obviously pay for the new mirror. But between their new mirror and mine, there goes all the 'extra' money I made last month--not that it was extra, mind you. It was just going to allow us to not take money out of savings to pay our basic bills this month or next. I have no idea how much of that this little escapade is going to eat up, but it just feels like I can't get ahead, no matter what. And here I am, committed (internally, emotionally) to quitting my job this year. Every time I think I have it figured out, something like this happens, and I realize that I'm full of crap; I can't make this work WITH my job, how am I going to make it work without my job?

Oh, and best of all? The remote-controlled car doesn't work. Piece of crap.

Yeah, yeah. Happy frickin' new year.


free hit counter