Tiny Coconut

I have things.

Sunday, January 02, 2005

But I Don't WANNA!

Have I ever mentioned before how tired I am of having to work? Yeah, I thought maybe I had.

There are a lot of wonderful things about my job. It's not my JOB I despise. It's having to work. It's having to GO to work every day. It's not getting to do all the other things I want to do, but don't have time for. It's having to be a grown up. It sucks

One of the wonderful things about my job is that we get the entire week between Christmas and New Year's Eve off. One of the terrible things is that it's never enough time to do all the things I plan for it. My life is nowhere near as reorganized and in control as I'd hoped it would be by the time I went back. As if that were even possible, even with an entire year off. But still, a girl can delusionally fantasize, can't she?

---------
On an up side, something very minor, but very cool, happened in my household this morning.

I was folding laundry, and had given Em her pile to put away in her room, which is one of her chores these days. N wanted to be a "helper boy," so I gave him his pile, and asked him to just put it on the floor in his room. About ten minutes later, he re-emerged, saying, "Mommy, I can't close my yellow drawer." I went in to help him, and noticed that the clothes were nowhere to be seen.

"Did you put your clothes away?" I asked.

"Yup," he announced with all the pride his not-yet-4-year-old body could muster.

"Where?" I asked with some trepidation.

And N began opening his drawers. He had, in fact, not only put his clothes away...but he'd put them in THE RIGHT PLACES. I was completely amazed. He truly is my big helper boy.

--------
Finally, resolutions. I usually don't make any. But then again, I usually don't spend as much time as I have lately trying to literally force myself into taking action rather than simply bemoaning my fate. And so, I give you...my resolutions, and my permission to stop reading now if you're bored to tears by people's lists of resolutions.

1. Sign a contract to write another book.
2. Make significant progress on my 'memoir'--or, preferably, finish it.
3. Summon up the courage to begin an actual novel. It's time.
4. Finish and self-publish my family cookbook.
5. Exercise needs to be part of my life again. I miss running, but it may not be possible with whatever I've done to my knee. But that doesn't mean I can't do a lot of walking, or find something else that fits into my lifestyle and time constraints.
6. Continue on--or, rather, return to--my weight-loss journey.
7. Find time for my tatting and cross stitching, because even if they're old lady crafts, and even if they make most people's eyes glaze over, they make me happy.
8. Find time for reading. My goal: to finish reading 25 books this year. I don't think I finished reading five last year, and I miss it. I did have an excuse, but this year...no excuses.

Of course, I hope or want to do other things this year--like keep on with therapy, strive to be a better parent, friend, wife, employee, what-have-you--but those are my Official Resolutions for 2005. We'll see how I did in a year...


free hit counter